Monday, June 11, 2012

What I'm Digging


For those of you who either missed the annual NaNoWriMo of November, can't wait until this November for the next one, or are gluttons for punishment, here's another chance to write a novel (50k words) during the month of June! [click here for more info].  Fyi - if you feel cheated because it's nearly the middle of June, they are doing the "camp" again in August.

The people who successfully pull this challenge off must not eat or sleep, because I've been working on a story since this past November, and I'm only at about 80 pages in Word (approx 33k words).  Granted, I haven't been working on it everyday, but it still takes quite a chunk of time each month.  More power to you if you are one of the people who have somehow managed this 1-month feat!

Take a picture with your phone of a coupon in a flyer, and it saves it to your phone in a way that a cashier can scan it when you show it to them.  Much handier than keeping track of all of your coupons.  Plus, it'll even give you reminders when a coupon is getting close to the expiration date.  I have the app but haven't been able to test it in a store yet.  I may do an update when I do.  :)  [learn more about it here].


Puts distribution, funds, marketing, filmmaking software and documents, databases, etc. all into your hands under one roof, furthering the ability that's possible in this day-and-age to circumvent the Hollywood world and still have your film funded and seen.  [Article Here]

They are currently raising funds on Indiegogo for the software, and providing nice incentives such as free toolkits for producers, actors, directors, etc. in return for any donations. 


A picture speaks a thousand words, right?  This game looks promising: If it truly hearkens to a nostalgic feeling of childhood as they profess, I'm even more sold on this game. [more info here]

The Film "Drive"
(video is 2 minutes from the beginning of the film)

Yeah, I'm rather late with getting around to seeing this movie, but it was well worth the wait.  It's now up there with Limitless and Super 8 for top films of 2011 for me (though there's still a couple I need to see, such as My Week With Marilyn, The Artist, Tree of Life, and A Better Life - I know, I know, I'm REALLY far behind...).   Side-note: War Horse was over-hyped.

Everything about this film was fantastic - it had me engaged from start to finish (see video above).  Acting, story, cinematography, coloring, action choreography, etc. was all excellent, but what I really loved was it's not dialogue-dependent to propel the story or characters.  The soundtrack was PERFECT.  Sound Design: I am a sucker for the sound of a deep and throaty, powerful engine, and they did not fail to make me think "Om-nom-nom" as those beasty cars sped around. 

The first time I watched it, I saw a friend's edited version that took out the stripper club scenes (found out about those being there after watching it on dvd a 2nd time), so other than having those unnecessary nude scenes, if I have one thing to criticize, it would be the scene in the pizza shop when the (click and highlight the blank area if you've already seen the movie) guy gets stabbed in the eye with a fork, and then gets knifed to death.  That was overkill (hah), and distracted me a bit from savoring the tense conversation and new development in the story.

They did an excellent job all-around for this movie and I highly recommend it. 

Les Miserables Trailer

I'm definitely excited to see this and The Hobbit this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get updates about our old home restoration, DIY tutorials, and project ideas to your inbox!