Autumn is also a time when I start to get a hankering for comfort foods, and banana bread is no exception. This is my go-to recipe when I feel like having something sweet...or my bananas are looking rather black, whichever comes first.
Banana bread is also my first GF baked goodie that I perfected in my early days after being newly diagnosed to taste like real gluten-filled banana bread. So yeah, banana bread has a soft spot in my psyche now. It was through my experimentation to get this recipe that I found my basic flour combo for all other baked goodies I've done ever since. I've had many a friend eat this and comment on it being moist and yummy, never guessing it's GF. Definitely a winner! ;)
- 3 very ripened med-large bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 & 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- dash cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp GF baking powder
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- start heating oven at 350 degrees.
- smash bananas with a fork in bowl until lumps are small and you can stir the mash (it'll feel similar to the consistency you feel when stirring oatmeal).
- add the eggs and whisk them into the bananas with the fork.
- add olive oil, brown sugar, and honey. Mix.
- in separate bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients (flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon)
- pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients bowl a cup at a time and mix well until you see no more white from the flour in the mix.
- pour mix into baking loaf pan and place in oven for approx 30-45 mins. Check at the 30 minute mark to see how crusty/browned the top of the loaf is.
- once loaf is looking a golden brown on the outside (it should by 45 mins), turn oven heat down to 275 degrees to finish the insides. Bake another 15-20 mins.
- Do the "toothpick test" to know if the inside is baked through. Toothpick should come up clean when it is finished baking.
Have with a glass of milk or hot apple cider, curl up with a book, and you're set for the evening.
|Thanks, glutenfreehomemaker, vegetarianmama, and simplysugarandglutenfree for the feature!|