Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Banana Bread (GF/DF)

Ah, Autumn.  My favorite season of all.  Time for pumpkins, bananas, apples, mums and sunflowers (and wondering how the heck another summer went by so fast!).

Autumn is also a time when I start to get a hankering for comfort foods, and banana bread is no exception.  This is my go-to recipe when I feel like having something sweet...or my bananas are looking rather black, whichever comes first.

 ooo-la-la

Banana bread is also my first GF baked goodie that I perfected in my early days after being newly diagnosed to taste like real gluten-filled banana bread.  So yeah, banana bread has a soft spot in my psyche now.  It was through my experimentation to get this recipe that I found my basic flour combo for all other baked goodies I've done ever since.  I've had many a friend eat this and comment on it being moist and yummy, never guessing it's GF.  Definitely a winner!  ;)

You'll Need:

- 3 very ripened med-large bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 & 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- dash cinnamon
-  1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp GF baking powder
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour

To Start:

- start heating oven at 350 degrees.
- smash bananas with a fork in bowl until lumps are small and you can stir the mash (it'll feel similar to the consistency you feel when stirring oatmeal).
- add the eggs and whisk them into the bananas with the fork.
- add olive oil, brown sugar, and honey.  Mix.
- in separate bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients (flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon)
- pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients bowl a cup at a time and mix well until you see no more white from the flour in the mix.
- pour mix into baking loaf pan and place in oven for approx 30-45 mins.  Check at the 30 minute mark to see how crusty/browned the top of the loaf is.
- once loaf is looking a golden brown on the outside (it should by 45 mins), turn oven heat down to 275 degrees to finish the insides.  Bake another 15-20 mins.
- Do the "toothpick test" to know if the inside is baked through.  Toothpick should come up clean when it is finished baking.

Have with a glass of milk or hot apple cider, curl up with a book, and you're set for the evening. 

Thanks, glutenfreehomemaker, vegetarianmama, and simplysugarandglutenfree for the feature!

2 comments:

  1. I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays recipe party! See you next Friday! Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete

Get updates about our old home restoration, DIY tutorials, and project ideas to your inbox!

Bloglovin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...