I haven't posted a recipe since March, and guess what? I'm still on a lemon kick!
This recipe came from the inspiration of my friend, Erin, who recently took my all-around muffin recipe and had the brilliant idea to add lemon juice. She brought them over for me to try, and they were so moist and delicious! They are infused with lemon; it's like 'eating' lemonade - a perfect baked dessert for summer. I can't tell you how obsessed I am with these muffins!
- 2 tbsp grounded flaxseed (+ 6 tbsp hot water)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- dash of salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (approx. 3 lemons)
- 1/2 cup olive oil (just a little over 1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp lemon zest (optional)
* Heat oven to 400 F degrees
- mix together in a small bowl the flaxseed and hot water. Set aside and let it soak for a few minutes.
- juice the lemons
- mix the flaxseed, brown sugar, lemon juice, and olive oil together (if prefer, also add the lemon zest).
- add the baking powder and salt
- add the brown rice and sorghum flours at about a cup at a time, mixing in-between cups.
Pour mix into muffin pan (or if you want to make lemon-muffin sundae's, use a brownie pan!)
Bake for about 30 mins (I did have to turn my oven back to 350 after about 20 mins, so do keep an eye on it so that you don't over-bake the outside before the inside is firmed up). Do the toothpick test to make sure the batter doesn't stick, and then once done, have fun trying to stop yourself from eating too many. ;)
Tip: if you'd like to make a lemon glaze for these, use lemon zest and powered sugar (and water).
Shared on vegetarianmama, wholeintentions, and allergyfreecookery. Thanks!