Being now July and the 4th around the corner, summer picnics are in full swing! I've been perusing ideas (and pinning - what did we do before pinterest?) for light dinners on hot days, things to make for picnics...the usual fare for this time of year. I'd had this recipe pinned several months back, so when I came across some grass-fed ground chicken one day at one of my usual stores, I nabbed that pack.
Recipe inspiration came from the blog Multiply Delicious, where Heather, a holistic naturalist, concocts paleo meals (direct recipe link here). She has a lot of mouth-watering recipes to try out; many of them are also gluten free.
When making these, I made some modifications and substitutions based on preference (I'm not a coconut fan, can't have tomatoes, don't like using eggs if I can help it, didn't have bacon on-hand...). Do likewise, as that's the beauty of recipes. :)
- 1 lb ground chicken
- dash of salt & pepper
- chopped celery (approx 1 stalk)
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- (optional) 2 slices of cooked bacon, chopped
Ideas for Toppings:
- baby spinach, tomatoes, cheese, bacon, ranch or sour cream & dill dressing...
* makes approx 8-10 patties
- 1 & 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 & 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp rosemary or dill
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsps ground flaxseeds soaked in 9 tbsps of semi-hot water for approx 6 minutes
- dash of salt
- 3/4 cup water
* makes approx dozen buns
Prep: Heat oven to 350 F
- mix all ingredients except for the water together in a bowl (with a spoon, not a mixer)
- slowly add the water while mixing - add only as much water as needed to get everything evenly mixed
- dish the mixture into muffin tins
- bake for about 10-12 minutes or until golden brown (& they don't stick with the toothpick test)
- to serve with the sliders, slice a herb muffin in half, and voila!
These sliders were definite winners for both Karl and I. Surprisingly, despite their mini size, they're quite filling. Even Karl, the bottomless pit, was full after 4 of them!
Shared on simplysugarandglutenfree, vegetarianmama, jillshomeremedies, and wholeintentions. Thanks!
FEATURED ON: glutenfreehomemaker and allergyfreecookery. Thanks!