Tuesday, August 27, 2013
Roasted Rosemary Chicken with Polenta & Kale
I love roasting chicken. It is one of the easiest ways to cook chicken, and gives one of the biggest payoffs in taste. You basically throw spices and herbs onto the meat, leave it in the oven, and come back in an hour and eat dinner. On top of that, these sides don't take any more than another 10 mins to make, and require no prep. This meal is win-win!
* Oven at 350 F degrees
- unskinned chicken thigh & leg for each person
- several fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 garlic clove for every 3 chicken thighs/legs is my preference, but experiment with what you like!
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- chopped sweet onions (optional)
- in large baking dish, add the chicken and all of the ingredients around and on top of chicken - be especially sure to rub the chicken all over with the olive oil
- pour some water into the dish, enough to coat the bottom with a few millimeters
- place in oven for approx 1 hour or until juices run clear, checking the water level and re-pouring water if necessary
- 2 cups chicken stock/broth
- 1/2 cup grounded corn polenta (bob's red mill)
- in a small pot, pour all the chicken broth and heat on medium
- once broth has warmed, slwoly add in the polenta in bits at a time, whisking the entire time
- when all the polenta is added, keep stirring as the polenta absorbs the broth and thickens.
- serve when polenta is a thick consistency similar to grits or oatmeal
Steamed Citrus Greens
- 1 cup of kale or baby spinach for each person
- 1 tbsp lemon juice for every 3 cups of greens
- pour enough water into a frying pan to just barely cover the bottom. Add the greens and bring heat to a medium.
- keep stirring/mixing the greens around as they cooks down
- after approx 3 mins, the greens should be cooked down: turn off heat, and mix in lemon juice
p.s. - this is the 100th post on this blog - woohoo!
Thanks to slightlyindulgenttuesday, healthytodaywednesday, jillshomeremedies, glutenfreefridays, and glutenfreewednesdays for the link-ups!