Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Bronzed Grey Dresser


I'm always inspired by Restoration Hardware, and this dresser was no exception. I was digging RH's a "antiqued graphite" color, but wanted to take the antiqued look a little further with this piece. I've been working on this dresser for most of this month, and it's been another good learning curve for me for furniture painting. 

Why?

Because this was my first time attempting to use a glaze on a piece. I'd been inspired with the use of General Finishes glazes by other painters and wanted to give it a try. Glazes are very neat little mixes that brush-on semi-translucent, the excess gets wiped off, and you're left with a beautiful finish that adds extra dimension to the base paint color (and glazes come in various colors). For the paint base of this dresser I used GF's milk paint in Driftwood, a mid-tone grey (see another example of it HERE). 

After 2 coats of the milk paint and dry time, I figured it was time to get the glaze on. I was a bit afraid to use the glaze and mess up my work. Actually, I almost DID mess it up! 

Before applying the glaze I looked up the process one more time online to be sure I was doing it correctly, and if it hadn't been for Suzanne from The Painted Drawer's sagely advice, it would have gone downhill really quickly!

Suzanne said to apply a layer of GF's high performance topcoat before doing the glaze. This way it's easier to guide the glaze into areas you want it to go and wipe it off easily. I followed her directions and used GF's [Dick] Van Dyke glaze, a nice bronze or antique brown color. Thankfully it went on and wiped off perfectly. Dodged a bullet!


After the glaze dried I put on a few layers of the topcoat, painted the original hardware using GF's Lamp Black (and put a few protective topcoats on them) and added them back to the drawers.

awaiting fixtures

Before:


Now:




I think it looks kind of steampunk. But that may just be me. 

detail shot of top with nothing on it



 Once again I'm in love with GF's paints and the final look of this piece. It came out exactly as I had imagined it - always a good feeling.

I know I'll now be using GF's glazes more in the future - in fact I'll be using it soon on my mom's buffet I've been working on. (see the results of the glaze on her piece here!)

Oh, I'm also finishing up the side tables this week. Here's a little preview of them for now:


Love the color? Me too. It's from General Finishes and is called Patina Green. (see the finished side tables here!)

Have any of you been dodging bullets on a project lately? (I know I can't be the only one ^_- )

[PIN IT for later!]

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful makeover! I love the color and especially the hardware!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there - we just discovered you at the Do Tell Tuesday link party! LOVE this dresser and the color finish. Great job. We have a link party Something To Talk About Monday - Thursday if you would like to link up!

    Vicki and Jennifer - 2 Bees in a Pod

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch, you two! Just linked it up. :)

      Delete
  3. It's gorgeous! I love the color, the hardware, and the beautiful details. Thank you for sharing at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, that Suzanne sure did help you dodge a bullet! The chest turned out beautifully! As for my bullet this morning, I'm experimenting on French drawers trying to figure out what combo I want to use on the piece: Coco with OW wash, OW with Coco Wash, French Linen with OW wash....Oh my, so many choices! :)
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, picking colors is always the hardest, yet also fun part! Thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  5. Hey - we wanted you to know that you are a featured link on our blog today! Our readers loved your painted dresser! Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, goodness! I love the color and the hardware!! So pretty! Thank you for sharing!! You are one of the features at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to this week's party. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/03/make-it-pretty-monday-week-132.html I hope to see you again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the feature, Kathryn!!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful work! I love the combination of gray and bronzey glaze. I am working on a small side table now and am so glad I read your post to help me do as good a job as you did. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Anne! This color combo has definitely gone into my "faves" since using it! Very glad the post helped you out with your project - please do send me a link of it when it's finished! :)

      Delete
  8. Your dresser turned out beautiful!! Great tips, thanks for sharing at Catch as Catch Can. Catching you!

    gail

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I'm a new subscriber because of this dresser. Is this look still in style?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin, awesome to have you, thanks! :) Yes, this style is very much still going strong!

      Delete

Get updates about our old home restoration, DIY tutorials, and project ideas to your inbox!

Bloglovin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...