Wednesday, March 25, 2015

How To Regrow Bok Choy from Scraps

With Spring approaching, I've been starting to see a rise on Pinterest of experiments for growing a variety of vegetables from leftover bases, such as celery...but did you know bok choy does this too?!

Bok choy is one of my favorite vegetables - I especially love it in homemade Asian-inspired soups. It's not always available at my usual grocery store, so to have a few homegrown (and free!) bok choys available is an awesome perk!

All you need to do is cut off the base (they look like carnations, don't they?), place it in a bowl, and add room-temperature water to sit just below the top of the stalk. Place the bowl on a windowsill where it will get good sunlight, and that's it! I had chopped up my bok choy one night for dinner and saw growth by the following morning - pretty fast!

Day 2:


Here it is on day 4.


Day 6



During the "bowl stage", I changed the water every 2-3 days to keep it fresh, and spritzed the new leaves growing out with some cool mist of water every 1-2 days.

After 7-9 days you can transfer your bok choy base to a planter and cover it completely in soil except for the new leaf tips.

Day 8:


I love watching things grow. Any of you have summer vegetable garden plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get updates about our old home restoration, DIY tutorials, and project ideas to your inbox!