Monday, June 13, 2016

When the Dishwasher Decided to Make a Moat in our Kitchen

Hi all - didja think I disappeared? Yeah can't blame ya, it's been a little bit since the last update with our master bedroom.

Last week we didn't get very far with our electrical work in the master. We have all our supplies readied and we measured and drilled for where the new wall sockets would go, but haven't been able to get much further for three reasons:

1. it's summer, therefore to stay in the good graces of our neighbors, we've been trying to catch up on a lot of yardwork

2. it's summer, and our schedule is more packed on weekends (family reunion this past weekend)

3. it's summer...and though the season has nothing to do with it, our kitchen's LG dishwasher that we've never used sprung a leak

The dishwasher had leaked all night and we had a big puddle by morning all around the area. The water also seeped under the peel-n-stick laminate floor and into the wood floor underneath and was dripping into the basement. Not good.

Thinking we might have a clog in the piping, Karl checked the pipes under the sink and took apart the trap, but it was completely clear.

Next we prepared our noses for opening the dishwasher.

Why our noses?

The dishwasher has remained unused because from inspection day we discovered an awful, foul odor that would emit from it any time it was opened. We figured it was just because it hadn't been run in awhile. That first week after moving in I put a dishwasher capsule in it and some baking soda on the bottom tray and let it run and rinse. Twice. But the smell didn't go away even the tiniest bit.

We've checked it a few more times over the months when we're feeling stupid brave, but the stench has remained and therefore we never have used it since, which has been fine because it's just the two of us.

Now for some reason even in non-use it was leaking, so we decided to check it out.

the dishwasher of doom

Being pregnant and easily nauseated, I didn't stick around for this part, and poor Karl did. He donned an air mask, opened it, and found water sitting in the bottom of it. As he emptied it and the filter he came up with bucket after bucket of gross, moldy water. Ugh. I don't even like picturing it.

Now free of the moldy water, we put dishwasher soap again into it and gave it a whirl. However, the entire time it ran (which was a crazy 2 hours!), we could smell the really bad odor from before and it smelled up the entire main floor.

We opened and inspected it after it finished washing and draining, but the odor was still there.

We also remain clueless as to what caused the leak in the first place.

In summation, we have a still-smelly dishwasher, no idea why it leaked, and a bubbled tile floor.

But I can tell you this; that dishwasher is going bye-bye.

I was hoping to replace it with a dent-n-scratch Bosch before the baby came, so this is just the kick-in-the-butt needed to start seriously looking for one. But we'll also need to figure out if there's something wrong with the plumbing before hooking up a new one, as we wouldn't want a repeat showering of water.

Any plumbing advice or ideas on things we could check on for the problem?

Friday, June 3, 2016

Master Bedroom Renovation Challenge: [Stage 4] Finished Demo, Exposed Chimney, & Video of Things Being Tossed from 2nd Story Window

Catch up on the renovation progress! 

Week 4 already! Yipes.

Our original estimation was 4-6 weeks, but something tells me that at our current pace and weekend events happening a lot now that summer is here, we'll be lucky to make it in 8 weeks.

However, wall demo is done - wooo! With that stage of the process behind us, this past week Karl and I made a list of the rest of the things needing done and scheduled them out over the next four weeks. It's a daunting list that includes electrical and dry-walling, painting, and sanding and staining floors.

Can we do it...?

...we're gonna darn well try!

I must also say that one of Karl's qualities I admire and that is really showing itself in these renovations we've been doing since moving is his dedication and staying on task with one project until it's done. I know how some people tend to bounce between various house projects without finishing, and I'd go crazy with someone like that, so I'm very appreciative of Karl and his efforts to finish the master.

So enough talk, let's see some progress pix!

The other side of the drywall door was taken out, so we now have a fully opened doorway between the future master and walk-in closet.

Don't mind the odd wood beam supporting the clothes rod in the pic of the rods came to us missing and so to keep it from toppling, this is my "ingenious" Top Gear way of fixing it. Brilliant!

We do have a bit of floor leveling to do between rooms. We're thinking we could put in little ramps on either side, but if any of you have better ideas, please comment away!

Closet header is officially gone!

In fact, much of the header was thrown out the window...literally (and yes, I know I did the cel video all wrong...d'oh!)

It's Raining Debris from Draven on Vimeo.

It took a LOT of effort to get the header demo'd - apparently the previous owner did everything to insure that closet was STAYING, which meant an excess of screws and 2x4s. Karl was extra careful trying to get the screws out of the original wood floor without tearing them up further, and he succeeded pretty well.

The chimney is exposed now on the inside wall of where the closet had been (it was behind the weird shower wall material). Some of the original plaster is still hanging onto the bottom half, as well as some layers of wallpaper.

Not bad for a day of work, especially in 90-degree and humid weather!

This upcoming week will consist of electrical work, and then it'll be onto drywall. Wish us luck!

Get updates about our old home restoration, DIY tutorials, and project ideas to your inbox!